When I was a kid, I’d whine to my dad that I was bored and he would jokingly tell me to go jump in a snow pile. That’s about to happen because there’s about 3 or 4 feet of snow on the ground. FEET OF SNOW. It’s becoming comical. There’s hardly anywhere left to put it.
With the 72 inches of snow Boston has seen over a two week span, most people I know are in hibernation mode. Hibernation mode calls for hot meals made from whatever is already in the kitchen, and we’ve been hooked on soups and stews.
Oh, there’s chicken and frozen veggies in the freezer? And some fresh vegetables that need to be used up? Hello, chicken pot pie (sort of)!
This recipe is inspired from a take-out soup business that used to be downtown. My favorite soup was their chicken pot pie soup. The restaurant closed a few years ago, but I’ve missed the soup which was simply a chicken pot pie filling. I made this meal dairy-free by substituting a can of coconut milk for cream or regular milk, and used a gluten-free all purpose flour mix to thicken up the broth.
The result? This is as close to a regular chicken pot pie filling you’re ever going to get. I couldn’t believe how well the flavors melded together! You wouldn’t know coconut milk was used. The recipe below calls for 3 tablespoons of gluten-free flour, but I think you could probably throw in another teaspoon or tablespoon to thicken up the broth even more. If you’re really motivated, you could make a gluten-free pie crust topping, and crumble it on top. After shoveling several feet of snow, I’m fine with this soup the way it is!
How are you surviving Snowpocolypse 2015?
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 carrot
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16oz) can coconut milk
- 3 cups mixed frozen vegetables (I used a corn, green bean, carrot, peas mix)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dairy-free butter
- 3 Tbsp Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill.)
- all-purpose, no salt seasoning mix
- Cut chicken breasts into small, bite sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a pan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Cook chicken thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of butter in a 5 or 6 qt pot. Add the carrots and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the celery and onion. Season with all-purpose seasoning. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Stir in flour. Pour in chicken stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and frozen mixed vegetables. Season with salt, pepper, and seasoning mix.
- Cook on medium for about 30-40 minutes.